Thursday 3 December 2009

The Importance of Touch

I am a true believer in touch-healing. I love massages not only for that momentary 1 hour of "me-time peace" it brings to my mind...but also that noticeble beneficial healings tp my body and skin, that inevitably trails after that one massage session. In short...massages to me is therapy. And regular therapies is what I offer to my son.

I am constantly either massaging DS's feet when we're watching tv, or stratching his back, or rubbing his back whenever I'm near him. It is second nature to me for I am a very tactile person. Becoz of this, it is hard for me to say if any of this "touchings" is healing or beneficial to DS for it is an ongoing thing without any observations.

Until...recently, due to a death in the family, staying in a different country, I have totally lost my routine, and having to spend alot of time apart from Junior, I then realised Junior is beginning to get very hyper and out of control again. I then realised the lack of "contact" between us of which i quickly resume my mini massages for him.

Strangely enough, preceeding this phase of hyperness, I have failed to recognised Junior's own recognisaton of his tactile sensory needs...many times he has asked me to be just sitting next to him...he just wants to be close to me. Even in the morning, he would rather stay in bed with me, snuggle up. Bedtime was all about lots of lots of back scratches, unable to switch off. Junior was exhibiting signs of clumsyness as in he is beginning to be bumping and banging into things. His energy level is high, un-able to control his power in most everything like crashing into us when walking or running to us, constantly rolling and playing on the floor, shadow fighting with lots of flipping and rolling on the floor.

How silly of me to have missed all these signs of his skin sensory is seeking input/ feeding.

So, it is back to whole body massages for Junior, and mini foot massages too and lots of bear hugs too.