Monday 15 October 2007

A Surprising Math Moment..!

I have to confess that as unschooling as I can be or aspiring to be, I do have moments that I do panic and start questioning my own wisdom in encouraging and revelling in this laissez-faire approach to learning anything and everthing that's in no way resembles a school curriculum. Hence, I would say we are unschooling extremely well, because I'm panicking now! We're learning alot of general knowledge stuff predominantly science or history or engineering based, touching abit here, skimming abit there, sometimes we just dive in deep and mull over it. But we're nowhere near any maths or writing or spelling.

But all of the sudden, out of Jnr's current obsession with Disney Toon Town, Jnr was asking and initiated discussions on numbers. Like him exclaming to me that 4+4+2 is the same as 8+2. Or him asking how much will 8 x 10 makes, which got us discussing how everything that's "x 10" always have an extra 0 behind it. Discussion then led to understanding the concept of maths - addition means to increase; minus means to decrease; x means to magnified and division meant to separate. And how when you times everything with zero, it alway zero the sum, no matter how complicated or long that sum is!

At the moment I'm having a fantastic time watching and playing with my son. He's imposed his Disney Toon Task game and rules onto his PS2 Star Wars Lego game. Instead of defeating Cogs, he's defeating x-number of droids in order to get the parts of the disguised suits he needs. And he's making up rules as he's going along this game!

Fascinating! He's just drew 20 circles representing "merits" he needs to get on his note book and told me that for every droid he kills, it's 5 merits, hence he's to destroy 4 droids in order to get all 20 merits! Multiplication LOL!