Tuesday 16 September 2008

Naomi Aldort "If children played all their childhood, they would be ready for life"

Another book to my collection.
Naomi Aldort, Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves.

I'm so pleased to have found Naomi Aldort. Even tho I'm reading what I already knew, her writings comforted me by re-affirming my unusual ways of parenting my child, and unschooling him. She help me word my thoughts in a more professional way, so that the next time I'm to share about our unschooling, I'll come out sounding more focus and polish LOL!

She's so spot-on with this line:-

-----------------------------------------------
"For me, child rearing has been a continual test to my ability to trust. Should I physically make sure that my child learns to crawl? Walk? Talk? How about "Talk and Walk Class for Toddlers 101"? Interestingly, language is the hardest thing to learn, and children do it all on their own. In fact, the speediest learning in humans occurs in the youngest years, when children generally play all day. Maybe nature didn't goof - maybe I can trust.

So I trusted in nature from day one and noticed an interesting thing: children play, and their best learning happens through play. Children are designed to be curious. From birth on, they want to know and figure out everything. Children are driven to succeed. They are constantly challenging themselves and can actually accomplish it all through a biologically implanted process that we call play.

If children played all their childhood (I mean it), they would be ready for life. They would be emotionally strong (providing no other damage has been done), and would have all the basic skills to handle life."

------------------------------------------------------

She has just helped me by pointing out why I'm so sure and steady about my child's continous playing and no worries about lessons or colleges and uni.

This is the very core of our unschooling, Play equals emotionally strong for life.