Tuesday 9 September 2008

I'm losing grip on our unschooling ways...again.

We're going through an academic drought.

It's been roughly 5 weeks now (I think) that Jnr is resisting any form of pc curriculum. He still insist that he likes Time4Learning but has yet make any attempt to take me up on my offer to visit that site together. I admit I am beginning to feel shifty and unsure about this, but i supposed I can "wait and see" alittle bit longer.

I'm wondering why this is happening. Maybe perhaps we have learnt everything there is to learn, for now. Maybe he's taking a break before the next level of realisation kicks in? Well whatever it is, it is obvious his interest is focus on playing. I can't say we're not doing much, for we are doing lots. Like watching more tv, creating more Lego structures, talking more, surfing more internet, playing games (interesting enough video gaming is on the low side too) I am wondering if this laid back attitude coincides with this learning drought? Maybe I should try board or card games.

Anyway I can't see anything new academically for him to learn for now, so I'm thinking really, maybe in school they are doing more about mastering thru practises, rather than learning new stuff? Maybe this is why we seemed like we're not doing much.

I need to re-assess what's the defination of learning. I am sure he is still learning on a daily basis, but just not dipping his toes into any academic part of learning. Ohhh...I really need to start working on letting go some more!!!

The level we are on right now:-
Maths (addition, subtraction, division and multiplication). On-going money maths, calendar dates maths.
Reading and history goes together, for reading from books is an on-going process.
Science is an on-going lesson too- we're still experimenting with fire.

We are talking about different ways to make money for son is money obsessed for the moment. So we have been looking at different type of jobs Jnr can do when he grows up. Working for The Lego Company could be one option.