Thursday 2 July 2009

We're into fast cars.

The month of June had been really full on with eating, sleeping and dreaming about cars, cars and more cars.


I was explaining about the benefits of asperger to my mum. I have finally managed to convinced my family that my mum, my brother, my sis and me....we're all on the autistic spectrum. One of the positiveness I pointed out is our narrow obsessions with things. Like me now, my obsession is finding out all info on adult aspgerger.

My son's obsession is finding out all about fast cars. Three weeks ago, he was just only beginning, exploring, gathering info via the library books, the internet and watching Top Gear every morning. This week (week 4), he is a walking encyclopedia on cars. Ask him anything about cars, and he will rattle on and on and on.

He is constantly pointing out the different cars to me as we're driving along. And I have managed to help him tune into his "lessons".

I was given a copy of the ACE curriculum's timetable, with rows for days and subjects for columms (Maths, English, Word Building, Literature and Creative writing, Science, Scial Studies and Bible). I just love the simple and colourful layout. I got hubby to colour copy enough to last for a whole year.

I have taken to printing on the back of the schedule, outlining our lesson philosophy/ framework for the week. I then fill in the individual boxes, translating Jnr's "work"/ discussions/ readings in educationese language.

So for instance, on Monday, I'll penned in:-

* Maths (charts; timing his races, and working out the time differences on each race);
* English (lots of discussions on driving techniques)
* Word building (using lots of new technical words to describe the driving and the condition of the route)
* Literature and Creative writing (tho we didn't do any writing but we are reading alot of books on cars plus working our way thru the DS 1000 Classic Stories every night)
* Science (we're reading and discovering the science of aerodynamics and physics; we're discoering scientific words like momentum, friction, downforce, gravity and many more)
* Social Studies (geography and history of car invention, manufacturing and racing history)

Anything new covered, will be scribble down too on the back by the end of the day. This way, I find, I won't forget...and I will always have a record of his "lessons" should I need it.