Saturday 1 September 2007

Project Grand Theft Auto- Day 2

I was lucky enough to have a very kind stepfather. And now that I'm a mother, his parenting thoughts and approaches are very much my bible. My stepdad was a very kind, gentle, quite, calm and fair man. I would like to think I was a "quick thinking and smart kid", but now looking back as a mother, I can easily see myself as being a very rebellious and stubborn teenager, constantly questioning anybody or anything. It's a shame i never really appreciate him when he was alive. But then I was just 17, anxious to break away from home. And when he passed away from cancer, I was only 19, in the middle of revelling in my new found independance. I was having too much fun to even think about home! It's sad to think that it is only now I'm beginning to realised what a great person he is, and appreciate him as an individual and not as my stepfather, and how deeply his wisdom has influenced me. I only wish I'm able to thank him now and tell him I how grateful I am, knowing how much he cared for me.

So here's what influenced my thoughts as a parent now.

Dad's parenting skill No.1
"Play fair, let them have the freedom to deciding which and what rules and regulation applies"

Dad's parenting skill No.2
"Now, give them enough rope to hang themselves".

"And they will learn to be true to themselves, and is therefore able to negotiate better compromise between us parents's expectation and their needs for themselves, and is then willing to abide and learn by their own mistakes, and subsequently be a wiser individual."

So needless to say, we're in Day Two and Gecko Jnr has broke the rule of "only playing with GTA when mummy or daddy is with you" by sneaking downstairs early this morning and started playing GTA all on his own. Plus he was also being deceptive by shutting my bedroom door so as to not wake me (which he'll normally do everyday without fail), and turning the tv volume really low so he obviously really didn't want me to wake up, because if I did, he'll have to have breakfast first before
even get to go near the PS2.

So Time Out No.1 is currently being served for a week.